June 23, 2012

33. Genet for Lawyers

Those with whom I studied law years ago at university - and those who want to understand why I have, in professional terms, quit law altogether - should read or see on stage 'The Balcony' by Jean Genet. Endowed with a powerful insight into the ways how people adopt, execute and create social roles, this play also mirrors my thoughts and feelings of the days when I realised that the majority of my coursemates - and even teachers - were more lured by the image, by the prestige of the judge, of the solicitor, of the prosecutor, clothes in which they were willing to dress themselves for years to come, than by the domain of law itself. The only professors who inspired me were those who taught the 'boring' subjects, subjects whose relation with law practice is distant or arbitrary.

No comments: